Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Open Dating Season Begins March 31: Singles Wrapping Up Spring Training


I've actually been kicking this idea around for some time now and have been testing it out with friends, but today's conversation with Andy Boyer during a course on social marketing really cemented it in my brain.

Dating is just like any other sport. It takes practice. It has winners and losers. Most importantly, and as the topic of this blog, it has a definite season.

For the most part, dating is a nearly year-long affair (not literally an affair, but sometimes I guess). See, I like to equate the beginning of dating season with the beginning of my favorite sporting season; baseball.

See the image above for the full 2008 Dating Season schedule.


Notice that right now we're in Spring Training. That means you should be getting back into single life form; going out more now that the weather is better, hitting the gym harder and if you're into it, updating the ol' Match.com profile.

On March 31, 2008, I will be at Safeco Field watching the Ms take the field for their first game of the 2008 season and, as the dating gods would have it, also venturing into the beer garden for the beginning of the dating season.

At the end of the dating season, as things start to wind down toward Thanksgiving, you're going to want to be tying up loose ends (dumping, getting dumped or making plans that will last you through the off-season). We all know that the holidays are a slow business time, and they're equally as slow, if not slower, for singles. No one wants to be in that weird limbo stage of dating during the holidays "Do I take her to meet the parents? Do I get her a present?" That uncertainty plays right on through the New Year and ends shortly after Valentine's Day, which leads us right back into Spring Training.

I've been spending my off season, really taking it easy (as I'm sure you can kind of tell). Every once in a while a guy just needs to take a break, take a breath and look ahead.
Looking ahead to this 2008 Dating Season, I'm going into it with a bit of confidence due to some lifestyle changes and coaching from my dear, dear friends who have moved on from the Dating Leagues and into the never-ending marathon that is marriage.

So, good luck to you all this season. Work hard out there. Keep your head down and don't forget to stretch.

Play ball!

Did you Digg this post? Perhaps you found it del.icio.us? Are you glad you reddit? Am I annoying you yet? Just tell the blogosphere about us.

No comments: